Contend Earnestly: Who Killed God?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Who Killed God?

Last year I watched the Mars Hill Good Friday service, and have to say, it was very well done. Of course Red Letter played some amazing music as usual which made the evening that much better.

I will once again watch it this year, and interestingly enough, they have a live feed this year. I would go, but it is my youngest boy's birthday on the 10th, so I want to spend time with him.

The question I have is this: Can God die? I know that Jesus is God and he was and is the God/Man. But, is it accurate to say that God died on Calvary, or was it Christ's humanity that died that fateful day?

Here is the link to the live feed and below is the "trailer" video for the Good Friday service at Mars Hill Seattle this year. I also included under that the video from last year's service.



2 comments:

linwoodk said...

A good question with a good point. God the Father forsook Jesus the Man on the cross when he took on the sins of the world. (Matt. 27; Mark 15) Then Jesus committed his spirit into the hands of the Father at the moment of his death. (Luke 23:46)

Paul states in two places that it was the perfect Man (the last Adam) that took on our sins. (Rom. 5: 19; I Cor. 15:44-45)

Finally, neither the words nor the concept that "God died" appears in Scripture.

It's easy to understand where the idea comes from. Jesus was God and Jesus died; therefore "God died." But how Jesus was fully God and fully human involves a logic we don't understand. It was the Perfect Man who died and God (very much alive) accepted his sacrifice.

Does it make any difference whether we say that "God died" that day? If everyone understands what we really mean, then probably not. However, it is from simple misstatements that heresy and cults grow. So it is best to avoid such inaccurate statements whenever we are aware of them.

Ryder said...

This is a very interesting question. My first thought is yes. I believe God to be a very personal thing. Everybody can have their own interpretation of what their God is. So, if I believe this than I believe that if I lose my way and begin living life with wrong intentions, my God can die. Meaning I no longer have a relationship with Him. I have decided to take my will back instead of trying to make right decisions and live according to His will. Therefore my God is dead, He has ceased to exist in my world.

On the other hand, I have heard that deep down in every man, woman and child is the fundamental idea of God. I really struggle with this concept sometimes, coming from my background. But, I look at my children and see the kindness they put forward to others around them and think that this can only be God working through them. So, if deep down in every human on earth is this fundamental idea of God than how can he die? He has to be everywhere, I have just forgotten to stop and look for Him.

Thanks for making me think so hard tonite Seth, nice work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails