Contend Earnestly: How Can I Pray for You?

Monday, December 21, 2009

How Can I Pray for You?


Someone asked me recently how they could be praying for me. My first thought is always, "please pray for me as the apostles would pray for me." Here is a list of those verses that specifically show what the apostles prayed for in regards to their flock and those in the faith. We know that these prayers are what God wills for us. Romans 8 tells us that we don't even know how to pray, so the Spirit prays for us. But, we can be imitators of what the apostles prayed, being they were speaking the very oracles of God. I try and pray these things for others when they are sick, well, poor, rich, saved, unsaved, etc. I don't know what God will do, but I DO know that these things are in the revealed will of God for all peoples.

Now we pray to God that you do no wrong; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear unapproved. For we can do nothing against the truth, but only for the truth. For we rejoice when we ourselves are weak but you are strong; this we also pray for, that you be made complete.
2 Corinthians 13:7-9

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
Ephesians 1:18

and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel,
Ephesians 6:19

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment,
Philippians 1:9

For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
Colossians 1:9

praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned;
Colossians 4:3

To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power,
2 Thessalonians 1:11

Finally, brethren, pray for us that the word of the Lord will spread rapidly and be glorified, just as it did also with you;
2 Thessalonians 3:1

and I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become effective through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ’s sake.
Philemon 6

Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a good conscience, desiring to conduct ourselves honorably in all things.
Hebrews 13:18

Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.
3 John 2


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails