Contend Earnestly: Thinking About Some Urban

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thinking About Some Urban

I need some thoughts on something that I have been thinking about for a while. I work in a suit and tie everyday, I hate it, but what can you do? What I have been doing for the past 6 months is taking a bus to work. When I transfer in the afternoon it is in Renton which is very urban and very hip hop. White, black, whatever, but very urban, with many young junior highers and high schoolers who are hanging out at the transfer station. As I stand there sticking out like an intelligent person at Yankee stadium, I have been thinking about how I could reach them. I look like a dork. I stand there with my laptop bag and suit, reading theology books, but banging hip hop on my iPod. Pretty funny picture if you think about it.

I have seen some faithful guys from Way of the Master stand around trying to hand out tracts, but to be honest, little happens within the kids trying to just kick it with their friends before they head home. My question is, "How do I reach them?"

I wonder if I should try in my suit, or if I should just try to visit at a different times dressed like I usually do. It's not totally urban, but it's not a monkey suit with pin stripes either.

I have been thinking about picking up the "Before You Die" tract from ReachLife Ministries. I have one that I picked up at the Resurgence Conference and it is very good. I am just not sure how economical it is to spend $3.50 per tract (there is a CD insert) but this is probably exactly what I am looking for.

Anyways...any thoughts from my readers? Or you could just go to the site and order me some. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth, forget about the tract. I just don't think tracts work like they used to. My advice. Keep you eyes out. Look for a kid that is in need of a friend. And let him know that you do care before you let him know why you care.

travispcox said...

Be intentional about getting to know them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails