Contend Earnestly: Blogging, Books and Excitement

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blogging, Books and Excitement

I like to read. I never thought that would come out of my mouth when I was a high schooler trying to score "Cliffs Notes" like a celebrity trying to score cake while in a weight loss compound. I did anything I could to skate by without reading. One time I was caught as I stood up trying to give a "book report" on The Call of the Wild as the teacher asked who a certain name was in the book. As I tried to give a detailed description of the person, she then let me know that the name of the "person" was actually the name of one of the dogs. Oops. Anyways. Since discovering what some call "theology" and "doctrine" and "orthodoxy" over 5 years ago, I haven't been able to stop reading. I just hope that what I read transcribes to orthopraxy, or right living.

I have now found a way to make two of my worlds collide even closer: blogging and books. I have been in contact with a couple of publishers and it looks like I will be receiving books from each of them to read and review on this site, my book review site and also my amazon review profile. I figured it was well worth it being I spend a lot of money on books. You know what they say, "Why pay for something you can get for free?" I won't tell you the context I first heard that in.

It looks like though that I will be partnering with InterVarsity Press and Crossway to review books for them. The hope of course is that you will be so astounded with my amazing reviews that you will then click through to their site and buy the books. Don't let me down. Also, if you go to these sites and see something that you would like me to review, let me know and I will do so. Unless you are trying to play a joke on me and want me to read something on being an excellent wife.

I have already received my first shipment from InterVarsity Press and am excited about the titles that they are allowing me to review. So far I have received the following:

Can God Be Trusted? by John G. Stackhouse, Jr.

Christian Leadership Bible Study by John Stott

Christian Mission in the Modern World by John Stott

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer

The Dawkins Delusion? by Alistair McGrath and Joanna Collicutt McGrath

I look forward to this new partnership and hope it is one that glorifies God in spreading the glory of the Gospel. Yeah, that's right, I got my Piper language down and ready to continue my reading of him.

I also want to thank Bob from Fundamentally Reformed for helping me find these outlets.

5 comments:

Bob Hayton said...

Glad to help, Seth. I'm excited for you, and I know you'll be a help to the publicists at Crossway and IVP. I've got a Crossway title finished that I need to review shortly, and an IVP title in the works.

Anonymous said...

Congrats man...that's a great gig. And consider yourself on the list for Moody as well...at least as it pertains to Kluck/Deyoung projects...

Ted

Seth McBee said...

Ted.
Yeah...you better put my quote on the back of your book.

You'll have all these great one liners from the top theologians around the U.S.

Then:

I think Ted Kluck might be retarded
Seth McBee

:)

Actually, when I get your book, I will put it to the top of the list. I am looking forward to it and the topic you guys are tackling. Summer '09 right?

Chase... said...

From what I have read of it (it is sitting partially read on my shelf) the Dawkins Delusion? is a great book. I would recommend ready "The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, that will give you some clarity on what McGraths book is hitting on.

Anonymous said...

exciting news, man. looking forward to your review of Stackhouse.

Related Posts with Thumbnails