Contend Earnestly: Jesus Is God

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Jesus Is God

We are not being exhaustive here but I want to point to the places that Christ testified of Himself being God and much is also seen, not only in His proclamation, but in the reaction of those whom hated Him most.

The first two that I would like to turn to are: John 8:58,59 and John 10:30


Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple
John 8:58,59

When Moses is sent to his people and asks God, “who shall I say sent me?” God tells Moses in Exodus 3:13-15, “tell them I Am who I Am, thus you shall say to Israel, I Am has sent me. "

Jesus by saying that before Abraham was, I am, is saying that He is God and that is why they pick up stones to stone Him, because saying that you are God was punishable by stoning. We see the same thing happen in John 10:30 when Christ says, “ I and the Father are One” What do the Jews do? They, again, pick up stones to stone Him. Let me ask you this. Why did the Jews want to crucify Christ? We find the answer in John 19:7


The Jews answered him, “We have a law, and by that law He ought to die because He made Himself out to be the Son of God.”
Why was this punishable by death? Because it was blasphemy. This is why your Saviour was put to death; because He proclaimed and taught that He was God and the Saviour of the World.

By saying that He was the Saviour He directly says that He is God as we find in Isaiah 43:11, when the Lord Almighty states:


I, even I, am the Lord, and there is no Saviour besides Me.

The next text that I would like to take a look at is Isaiah 41:22; 43:8-10 vs John 13:19


Let them bring forth and declare to us what is going to take place; As for the
former events, declare what they were, That we may consider them and know their
outcome; Or announce to us what is coming;
Isaiah 41:22

All the nations have gathered together So that the peoples may be assembled Who among them can declare this And proclaim to us the former things? Let them present their witnesses that they may be justified,Or let them hear and say, "It is
true." "You are My witnesses," declares the LORD, "And My servant whom I
have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He
Isaiah 43:9,10

From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He
John 13:19
One of the best parts of Scripture that details who God is and how to know the true God is Isaiah 40-45. So here God is telling us how they can know who He is and that is He knows perfectly the past and perfectly the future because He ordained all things. Christ, says the same in John 13:19; again showing His deity and calling Himself God.


Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne and the
living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing."

And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever."

And the four living creatures kept saying, "Amen " And the elders fell down and worshiped.
Revelation 5:11-14


This is one of my favorite passages with John declaring Jesus as God. Notice the subject in verse 12 is Jesus, the Lamb of God. Then in verse 13 says that every created thing, meaning Jesus couldn’t have been created as it says that every created being and by saying this apart from the Lamb of God, this means that the Lamb was uncreated and separate from the created beings. But the clincher is in the last verse.

Who alone can be worshiped? God. Look to what the four living creatures and the elders did…they worshiped. They worshiped the Lamb who was slain.

Jesus claimed in many places that He was and is truly God. These are just a few of the places that this is ascertained. Next time I will look at some of the verses that Jehovah Witnesses bring up to try and disprove our God.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No doubt the Scriptures testify to the deity of Christ. And in addtion to that you have virtual and universal agreement within the historcial church to the veracity of Christ's claims. In other words, we aren't saying anything new.

Jake said...

Thanks for the post Seth, these are great words to be reminded of, and I especially enjoyed the passage in Revelation 5 :). It is good to remind ourselves of the supremacy of Christ and why we must believe in it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails