Contend Earnestly: To Vote or Not to Vote

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

To Vote or Not to Vote


I simply have a question regarding the “Christian Duty” to vote. Recently we had the elections for the house and I was told numerous times that it was my “Christian Duty” to vote. If this is true, if it is my “Christian Duty” then shouldn’t that be mentioned in the Bible? If anything, we should cast lots to see who should be in office, but to vote for public office is a tough one for me.

I will start by saying I don’t disagree with voting and I don’t consider a sin to vote, but I just don’t agree that it is my Christian duty to vote. Is it a right in America? Yes, of course it is, but to label it as my duty to vote I find hard to follow. If it was a law that I had to vote then I would look on this differently, but it isn’t a law it is a choice.

Let’s see how Paul handles government affairs:

Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
Romans 13:1


It doesn’t say anything besides that all governments and its officials are established by God NOT the people. I have heard some say, “If the Christians don’t vote, then imagine where America would be!” Imagine where America would be? Look where it is! We have voted throughout the ages in America and we have never seen it at its lowest that we see today. America is a terrible place of sin, of idolatry and now even taking God out of all aspects of public view. It doesn’t seem like our vote matters. Plus, shouldn’t I place my trust on God’s complete sovereignty? If all authorities are established by God then doesn’t that mean that God established Hitler to rule and also Ronald Reagan regardless of who voted or wasn’t allowed to vote?

The issue for me is to make sure that I am not approving someone by giving them my vote. If I vote for someone and they go on to take prayer out of schools or if they accept homosexual marriage, am I not partially now to blame? Candidates say one thing to get votes and then do another once they get into office, we all know this. So, knowing this how can I place my trust in what party they are in or what they say they’ll do? You are picking the best of the worse. The problem I have with the politicians these days is that they all lie and they all defame the others to get into office.

…And he who spreads slander is a fool
Proverbs 10:18


Am I to vote for a fool? I know that some will say that I am denying a fundamental American right, but I say that is fine. For I don’t answer to the President, I answer to my YHWH. At this time I don’t see how I can put my stamp of approval on ANY candidates and that is primarily the reason, why, at the age of 29, I have never yet voted for any individual and don’t see myself doing so.

Am I crazy? Maybe, but would like any thoughts on the subject. I could be completely wrong in this area. I just don’t see how America has been better off because Christians have made their vote clear. I only see a society that is falling deeper and deeper into sin instead of higher and higher to the heavens. There are some further thoughts on this subject at Pulpit Magazine, the article is called, Can Christians Participate in Civil Disobedience?

May God be glorified and may we all remember what Christ told Pilate in John 19:10,11:

Pilate therefore said to him, “Do you refuse to speak to me? Do you not know that I have power to release you, and power to crucify you?” Jesus answered him, “You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above; therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have recently rethought my position on this subject. I used to think Christians had a moral obligation to vote. But that would would mean it is a sin not to vote. I cannot agree with this. Often times, there are no canidates that in good conscience I can side with. Besides, if they run in a party, your endorsing the entire party, even if the person is tolerable.

I believe Christians should participate in civil affiars, but the how and to what degree, the Scriptures to do not say. Good post.

Seth McBee said...

I agree that we should participate in civil affairs and even vote on certain issues, such as if there was a vote to ban abortions or if there was a vote to decide homosexual marriage. We should definitely vote in those areas, but I just have a hard time putting my stamp of approval on lying politicians.

Tough subject.

Justin Evans said...

I firmly believe in God's sovereignty. But I also hesitate to say because He is sovereign, we should not vote. God decrees the ends, but He also decrees the means. Let me be clear that my statement above goes way beyond voting. And I don't necessarily disagree with anything either of you have posted. I wanted to start with a clarification on one thought I had from the original post.

But regarding the actual process of voting, I am torn. I know that no perfect candidate will ever be offered on the ballot. I was talking with another believer on this subject in the past, and they indicated that they do not vote because they are not of this world. We are aliens, and our home is in the heavens. This statement, while I agree, does not answer all of the tensions. But a good insight nonetheless.

Our Christian duty to vote? I agree, there is no biblical mandate for that found in the Scriptures.

Seth McBee said...

Come on Tony...picking the lesser of the two evils? So if you had to pick one of two sins you would actually pick one? I know it is not the same thing but I have a hard time picking the lesser of the two evils. I feel as though if it is evil then just leave it alone. I don't want any part of it. Again, I think we have put voting in a box and said that this part is okay when I know you as a brother, Tony, would never pick "the lesser of two evils" anywhere else in your life. You, from what I have seen, either pick holiness or leave it out of your life. So, why is this different? Would you give out condoms to those in Africa to help with the AIDS epidemic? Just curious...I know this comment seems harsh, not meaning for it to, just like the discussion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails