Contend Earnestly: Edward's Resolutions - 11-20

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Edward's Resolutions - 11-20


Contend Earnestly uses our weekend posts to quote men of the faith that have been a great encouragement to church. Today's post will be a continuation of Edwards' resolutions, numbers 11-20.

For a full reading of the Resolutions, click here.


RESOLUTIONS 11-20
of Jonathan Edwards

BEING SENSIBLE THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT GOD'S HELP, I DO HUMBLY ENTREAT HIM BY HIS GRACE TO ENABLE ME TO KEEP THESE RESOLUTIONS, SO FAR AS THEY ARE AGREEABLE TO HIS WILL, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Remember to read over these Resolutions once a week.

11. Resolved, when I think of any theorem in divinity to be solved, immediately to do what I can towards solving it, if circumstances do not hinder.

12. Resolved, if I take delight in it as a gratification of pride, or vanity, or on any such account, immediately to throw it by.

13. Resolved, to be endeavoring to find out fit objects of charity and liberality.

14. Resolved, never to do any thing out of revenge.

15. Resolved, never to suffer the least motions of anger towards irrational beings.

16. Resolved, never to speak evil of anyone, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, more or less, upon no account except for some real good.

17. Resolved, that I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

18. Resolved, to live so, at all times, as I think is best in my devout frames, and when I have clearest notions of things of the gospel, and another world.

19. Resolved, never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do, if I expected it would not be above an hour, before I should hear the last trump.

20. Resolved, to maintain the strictest temperance, in eating and drinking.

1 comments:

Seth McBee said...

The one that I really like and what should be on the forefront of our minds is number 17:

Resolved, that I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

Related Posts with Thumbnails