Contend Earnestly: I Digress

Sunday, June 11, 2006

I Digress

As I have spoken to some of my fellow bloggers and others that have read this last post on hand raising I need to make sure I come back and make sure that I make something very clear. I have worshipped with and seen many fellow believers who find it very natural to raise their hands during worship and I would continue to stand and worship and fight the battle hand in hand and step by step with no thought of them being “showy” or doing anything of what would be considered selfish worship. My post was written from a point of view of someone who has been continually told throughout my entire life that he is lifeless and dead merely because he doesn’t raise his hands during worship. Told that I am not filled with the Holy Spirit because I don’t raise my hands. Told that I was cold because I don’t raise my hands. Told that all his churches that he has been in are cold and unloving and don't know how to worship because we didn't raise our hands. This has been an inner fight my entire life, knowing that if I ever said anything against it, it would be seen as a harsh attack on brothers and sisters in Christ. My intent was not to “fire” at an “opposition” as it came across to many, but was merely an attempt to make sure we continue to look to Scripture to guide us in every thing that we do.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Cor 10:31

Or would be paraphrased by the reformers, “Soli Deo Gloria.”

I didn’t want people to look at this as an attack but realize it could easily be seen as that, I didn’t want it to be harsh, but it has been seen as that as well. I also know that if I was going to tackle this question at all it would always be seen in some way as an attack

So if you raise your hands during worship, I am not saying you are doing it out of selfishness or being showy, I am just asking you to examine the “why.” If you examine the “why” and you still feel as though the only reason you do it is because you are worshipping with fear, know that I would stand next to you and worship daily without any second thought. But also know as my hands are in my pocket or behind my back that my heart is reaching as high as heaven along with yours. Please take a second look at the post and understand it truly comes from a brother that does care for those around but truly is searching daily for the truth of how God commands us to stand for Him. Ravi Zacharias said it best; we as Christians are to conform to God’s Word and not expect the Word to conform to us.

Examine all things, hold fast that which is good
1 Thessalonians 5:21

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails