Contend Earnestly: American Idol Gives Back...with Jesus?

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

American Idol Gives Back...with Jesus?

My wife and I were bored to tears tonight and watched the American Idol Gives Back special on Fox. They are actually doing some amazing things around the world and in the U.S. to raise money for the poor and uneducated. What struck me was the last song that they were to sing was "Shout to the Lord." I was busy at my computer but this made my ears perk up when I heard it. If you aren't familiar with the song, it starts with:

My Jesus, My Savior
Lord there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love
My Comfort, My Shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You

As I was watching Idol I was pretty down to think that all these people are trying to give hope to people without Christ. I believe their efforts are very good ones and much needed and should spur us Christians to make sure that we are also giving the gift of physical life to people around the world. Of course what we can offer alongside this is much greater and much more important, namely, the water that will make them thirst no more. The only thing that makes me a little queasy about these things is all the praise that is given to all the celebrities that help out, but whatever, I understand. But, as they announced the last song, I was thinking, "I can't believe that we are going to hear the very name of Jesus said on national TV, during a very emotional fund raiser by a secular show and station. But, I was led astray. I was baited and switched.

The song starts off in the original, "My Jesus, my Savior" but as the Idols started to sing out the words it came out flat and offensive, because they instead took the very name of Christ and omitted it from the line. Instead they sang, "My Shepherd, My Savior." Once again, proving that the name of God doesn't offend, but Jesus does. Again, showing that no one wants to offend anyone, besides the Christ fearing Christian. Sad, but true.

If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you.
John 15:18

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.
Acts 4:12


So, American Idol, not wanting to offend, decided to offend me, by purposely leaving out the very name that was given to us to save us. The very name that was given to me and saved me.

Even though Idol doesn't know it or believe it, I do know and do believe that He is truly,
My Jesus, My Saviour and there is no other name under heaven by which man can be saved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should we expect anything more from a show called American *Idol*?

Anonymous said...

Look, Jesus is "Lord" and they didn't take out "Lord" and they didn't take out "Worship". In Hollywood, that's saying something even if it doesn't go further. You take the small victories where they come.

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more. You can say God and no one is offended. God is all inclusive. God can be a tree, another person, anything.
It amazes me that a man who spoke truth, healed broken lives, gave up his life, causes so much fear and anger in people.
I watch NASCAR, and one of my favorite parts is the opening prayer. They say the name of Jesus.
Right there on network TV!

Anonymous said...

I blogged about this as well. Then last night they sang it right. Made me look a little stupid.

Related Posts with Thumbnails