Contend Earnestly: God's Sovereignty

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

God's Sovereignty

Over the past couple of months I have been reading through Genesis with my wife. We thought that it would be interesting to go through the Old Testament in chronological order... It has been very rewarding. Any way, a few weeks ago we read through the account of Moses and the flood. (Got ya! It was Noah, not Moses. He, He, He) While reading through the account Hayley and I noticed something very intriguing...a miracle that is probably overlooked quite often but very impressive, at least to me.

We all know that God had Noah put 2 of every kind of unclean animal on the ark, and 7 of every clean animal on the ark. (Gen. 7) This means that every animal after unloading from the ark had no more than 6 of it's kind (one of every clean animal was sacrificed to God). Here is the miracle...What did the animals eat? I understand that the vegetarian animals ate the plants and what not, but what did the carnivorous eat? They could not start eating the other animals, otherwise that species would be extinct today. God somehow had to sustain them for a while, until the population was once again restored. For instance, the lions could not start hunting the antelope right away otherwise we would no longer have antelopes here on the earth, remember, there were no more than 6 of each kind that got off of the ark. God miraculously sustained and provided for his creation. For how long, I have no idea, but it is apparent that somehow God did work a miracle.

After realizing that, it made me stop and think about the every day worries that I have and how much I try to rely on myself rather than God. How much do I really take to God in prayer and how much do I really trust that God will provide? It reminds me of my favorite Psalm:


O Lord My God, You Are Very Great
104:1 Bless the Lord, O my soul!O Lord my God, you are very great!You are clothed with splendor and majesty,
2 covering yourself with light as with a garment,stretching out the heavens like a tent.
3 He lays the beams of his chambers on the waters;he makes the clouds his chariot;he rides on the wings of the wind;
4 he makes his messengers winds,his ministers a flaming fire.
5 He set the earth on its foundations,so that it should never be moved.
6 You covered it with the deep as with a garment;the waters stood above the mountains.
7 At your rebuke they fled;at the sound of your thunder they took to flight.
8 The mountains rose, the valleys sank downto the place that you appointed for them.
9 You set a boundary that they may not pass,so that they might not again cover the earth.
10 You make springs gush forth in the valleys;they flow between the hills;
11 they give drink to every beast of the field;the wild donkeys quench their thirst.
12 Beside them the birds of the heavens dwell;they sing among the branches.
13 From your lofty abode you water the mountains;the earth is satisfied with the fruit of your work.
14 You cause the grass to grow for the livestockand plants for man to cultivate,that he may bring forth food from the earth
15 and wine to gladden the heart of man,oil to make his face shineand bread to strengthen man's heart.
16 The trees of the Lord are watered abundantly,the cedars of Lebanon that he planted.
17 In them the birds build their nests;the stork has her home in the fir trees.
18 The high mountains are for the wild goats;the rocks are a refuge for the rock badgers.
19 He made the moon to mark the seasons;
[1]the sun knows its time for setting.
20 You make darkness, and it is night,when all the beasts of the forest creep about.
21 The young lions roar for their prey,seeking their food from God.
22 When the sun rises, they steal awayand lie down in their dens.
23 Man goes out to his workand to his labor until the evening.
24 O Lord, how manifold are your works!In wisdom have you made them all;the earth is full of your creatures.
25 Here is the sea, great and wide,which teems with creatures innumerable,living things both small and great.
26 There go the ships,and Leviathan, which you formed to play in it.
[2]
27 These all look to you,to give them their food in due season.
28 When you give it to them, they gather it up;when you open your hand, they are filled with good things.
29 When you hide your face, they are dismayed;when you take away their breath, they dieand return to their dust.
30 When you send forth your Spirit,
[3] they are created,and you renew the face of the ground.
31 May the glory of the Lord endure forever;may the Lord rejoice in his works,
32 who looks on the earth and it trembles,who touches the mountains and they smoke!
33 I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,for I rejoice in the Lord.
35 Let sinners be consumed from the earth,and let the wicked be no more!Bless the Lord, O my soul!Praise the Lord!

How awesome is our God! And to think, that I can have the Audacity to question Him and worry about my future. He cares and provides for every living creature in His creation, how much more does he care for me, a child of His, a creature made in His image? How is it that I can go on being anxious about my life when He has it already mapped out for me? All I need to do is "trust in Him and He will make my paths straight". This does not mean that He will provide all of my wants and desires, but that He will provide my needs and HIS desires in His perfect timing. All I need to do is seek after Him. Such a simple thing to say, but incredibly difficult to live out. The ones that truly have faith, though, will find peace and comfort rather than anxiety and worry. I hope that you all have a wonderful day, and if there is anything that is worrying you or nagging you, I encourage you to get on your knee's and give it to God. If He can provide for his creation, He can most definitely provide for you! Don't forget, He already has, by sending His only Son to die on our behalf. What a wonderful God we serve!

May We Always Look To Jesus and Him Crucified!


Phil. 4:6-7
6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 comments:

Seth McBee said...

I find it amazing when we don't trust God through events and trials that we have gone through before. I do that as well, where God has brought me through a trial and He provides the strength and wisdom to comfort me. Then, a year later I go through the same or similar trial and doubt and worry. I find myself being like Judah as Jeremiah describes them in Jeremiah 3:8

And I saw that for all the adulteries of faithless Israel, I had sent her away and given her a writ of divorce, yet her treachorous sister Judah did not fear; but she went and was a harlot also.

When am I going to stop being like Judah and start putting all my trust in God no matter my physical emotions? Thanks for the reminder Trev, much needed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails