Contend Earnestly: Bumper Sticker Theology

Monday, July 30, 2007

Bumper Sticker Theology

As we are debating a subject like Calvinism and soteriology in general, it always urks me, and this could just be a personal thing, on seeing bumper stickers or t-shirts from the "Christian" community that really just shows our, either ignorance, or just mass casualness when it comes to Christ and theology.

I see either t-shirts or bumper stickers that really just bother me, being that they bring something as important as Christ dying for our sins to the buddy or genie that can be called on when we are "drunk in the gutter" and need a ride home. When this takes place I believe that theologies like the health and wealth, name it and claim it Gospel can start to take root.

The one thing that I have learned over the past 4 years at my church is the importance of the word of God. I have also learned, which interestingly enough, I didn't really think was true before this church, that the calling of the elders and deacons is also an overall call to the church. So, when the Bible tells us that elders should be able to teach, to exhort and to refute those who contradict, should we not take this seriously instead of putting a bumper sticker on our car that says, "My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter." Besides the complete lack of theological insight this doesn't give, it is almost saying that we don't take our religion seriously either.

If everyone in the church believed that when they teach, which is what everyone should be able to do at some level, then when you share the same responsibility as the preacher and that is clearly stated in 1 Peter 4:11:

Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God;



I just wonder if people took this verse seriously if they would still wear the above mentioned shirt or put the above mentioned bumper sticker on their car. What is it accomplishing besides making someone, once again, laugh at the dumb Christians who follow after a bumper sticker god.

I just get frustrated to know that my Saviour died on the cross for my sins, and we have some who feel it is necessary to "show" their faith in a way that I find as an insult to what He hath done.

I am not opposed to ALL bumber stickers, and when I say "all", I mean the Arminian "all" and not the Calvinist "all" (sorry had to throw that in). I don't mind a verse or something of that nature, I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't make me want to throw up like the one to the left.

I hope that we will all take a second look on how we are representing our Creator and Saviour and ask ourselves if this is the best way to be ambassadors for Christ.

For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God.

2 Corinthians 2:17


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not just you brother. It rubs me the wrong way as well when I see this sort of thing. I don't mind the "Luther is my Homeboy" and those like it. Just replace Luther with your favorite theologian. Although they accomplished much they are mere men. Jesus is much more than a buddy or pal. He is my Master and Savior.

Related Posts with Thumbnails